Monday, November 29, 2010

I May Be Crazy, But I'm Not Lonely

This obsessive knitting thing is relatively new to me. I actually know the precise date and approximate time the bug bit: It was my birthday in 2009 in the mid-afternoon when my mother innocently gave me a copy of Stitch 'N Bitch. We're hauling up to the 1-year anniversary.

Since I'm a relative newbie, I'm still catching up on the thousands of years of knitting culture that I've missed. Of course I'm starting with the newest first (I'll get to ancient Egyptian knitting sooner or later), so I've been reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's At Knit's End a few pages at a time for the last few days. Recall yesterday's drama with the miscrossed cable. Today I read this:
Faced with a major knitting mistake, such as a miscrossed cable, I have three basic choices. I could ignore it; pull the work back and re-knit it; or go wild, drop the offending stitches, and painstakingly spend hours with a crochet hook tediously fixing just those few. . . . It's not necessarily the smart thing to do, but there's really nothing like conceiving and executing an insane feat of repair and having it work. (102)
See that?! Stephanie Pearl-McPhee--the Great Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, one of the premier knitting gurus of our age and the only author of a blog on any topic that I've loved enough to read the entire blog from the beginning in chronological order--suggested the same three solutions I did. Okay, you say, that's because those are the ONLY three solutions. "Not impressive, Noelle," I can hear you saying. And you know what? You're right. It's not impressive that I came up with the same three solutions that literally millions of knitters before me have already thought of. But it does prove this: I may be crazy, but I am not alone.

I'd also like to point out that SPM suggests using a crochet hook to pull up the dropped stitches. I didn't wimp out and use a hook. I actually re-knit the stitches. I'm pretty sure this makes me more hardcore than Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.

You heard me.

(But please don't tell her I said that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment