My car window broke last Thursday, Edgar the Cat had to go in for some bloodwork on Friday, and this morning, after two days sitting in the garage, my car battery was dead. So I sat at the mechanic's for the entire morning, and I decided to spend part of the time making a mental list of silver linings. Some are kind of more like pewter, but I'll take what I can get.
1. Edgar's very expensive bloodwork results came back. For a 15-year-old cat, he's
remarkably healthy. Apparently appropriate litter habits just become
irrelevant to cats of a certain age. So . . . yay?
2. I spent so much time at the mechanic's that I got an entire stack of
papers graded and about 1/3 of a foot knitted. Believe me when I tell you that I needed the
knitting time. Yay!
3. I got to listen to an unintentionally entertaining fellow customer explain how he has come up with a mathematical theory that will break
any and all codes, like "the Internet code." Something to do with prime numbers. Luckily he was
talking to another customer, so I didn't have to even pretend to try to
4. Since the same car window had the same problem and was repaired just
two years ago, the mechanic wrote off the labor and only charged me for
the crappy part, which he claims has been improved since then. So after
window repair, new battery, and an oil change just for the hell of it, I
got out of there for only $380 instead of $550. I still need a new valve cover or some such shit that will cost another $120, but that doesn't have to be repaired immediately. Yay?
5. I've worked out a really fabulous justification for how my crappiest of all crappy Monday mornings warrants an afternoon nap before I have to teach tonight. Yay!